Riding a motorcycle provides freedom and exhilaration like no other activity. But this joy comes with enhanced risk, as motorcyclists are disproportionately vulnerable in any traffic crash. The injuries sustained can be absolutely devastating. Far too often, insurance companies try to minimize or deny claims by asserting motorcyclists are at fault due to the inherent dangers of riding. This is where an experienced motorcycle accident attorney can make all the difference in recovering fair compensation. Read on to understand why you need legal representation after a motorcycle crash and how lawyers maximize payouts for injured riders.
Motorcycle Riding Carries Unique Dangers
Unlike drivers encapsulated in tons of steel and safety features, motorcyclists are precariously exposed on the open road. Several factors contribute to the heightened risks:
- No external body to absorb impact in a collision
- No restraints like airbags or seatbelts
- Less stability – motorcycles can skid or roll easily
- Minimal protection from weather elements
- Lower visibility to surrounding drivers
- Greater vulnerability to debris or road hazard
Due to this inherent lack of protection, motorcyclists are statistically much more likely to sustain severe or fatal injuries when a crash does occur. Traumatic brain injuries, spinal cord damage, paralysis, broken bones, severe road rash, disfigurement and amputation are common after serious motorcycle accidents. The injuries can be permanently life-altering.
Why Motorcyclists Deserve Compensation After a Crash
The simple fact that riding a motorcycle is riskier than driving a car does not legally justify withholding fair compensation from injured motorcyclists. Like any other accident victim, they deserve damages covering:
- All current and future medical costs
- Lost income and impaired earning potential
- Property damage – cost to repair or replace their motorcycle
- Pain, suffering and emotional distress
- Permanent disability or disfigurement
Insurance companies typically seek to evade full responsibility and compensation by asserting:
- The motorcyclist contributorily caused the accident by improper riding
- The inherent dangers of riding absolve the other motorist of full fault
- Motorcyclists “assume the risk” by choosing to ride
An experienced motorcycle accident lawyer knows how to effectively counter these tactics so the focus remains on the motorist’s proven negligence and liability. Getting fairly compensated is a struggle without legal firepower behind you.
How Can a Motorcycle Accident Lawyer Help?
After a motorcycle crash, contacting an attorney experienced specifically in two-wheeled accidents is critical. They provide you with:
- Immediate investigation and preservation of evidence before it disappears
- Retention of expert reconstructionist to determine crash causes and prove fault
- Challenging any traffic citations to prevent liability based on wrongful ticketing
- Obtaining witness statements, surveillance footage, police reports and other evidence
- Assessing if road defects, construction hazards, or vehicle defects caused or worsened the crash
- Meticulously calculating current and future medical costs, property damage, lost earnings, and hardship
- Negotiating fiercely with insurance companies by substantiating valid claims
- Taking cases to court if necessary to compel maximum compensation
Simply put, motorcycle lawyers act as the skilled and assertive advocate you need against forces seeking to deny or minimize your recovery.
What Compensation Can a Motorcycle Accident Lawyer Recover?
With dogged determination and legal know-how, a motorcycle accident attorney can pursue the full spectrum of damages their client deserves, including:
- All past and future medical expenses – surgeries, rehabilitation, devices, at-home care
- Lost income from missed work time and long-term reduced earning capacity
- Repairs or replacement value for damaged motorcycle and accessories
- Pain and suffering damages
- Permanent disability or disfigurement compensation
- Property damages – clothing, safety gear, luggage, etc. destroyed in the crash
- Punitive damages in cases of gross negligence
Lawyers also deduct any applicable comparative fault attribution to arrive at a final demand amount representing the total value of the motorcyclist’s losses. This sets the stage for the highest possible settlement or court award.
Questions to Ask When Hiring a Motorcycle Accident Attorney
Not all attorneys possess the skills and experience to maximize recovery for injured bikers. Key questions to ask during an initial consultation include:
- How familiar are you with the unique laws pertaining to motorcycle accidents in my state?
- What percentage of your caseload focuses specifically on motorcycle crashes?
- What is your track record recovering damages for injured motorcyclists?
- Are you willing and able to take my case to court if needed?
- Will you or an associate handle my case from start to finish?
- What are your total fees and when are they due?
- Can you share client testimonials and references I can contact?
Vetting lawyers carefully ensures the best chance at the compensation you require to move forward after a life-changing motorcycle crash.
Don’t Delay – Consult an Attorney Today
Injured motorcyclists face bias from insurers seeking to minimize or deny claims. But the law still protects their right to fair compensation when another motorist is at fault. An attorney levels the playing field and fights to get justice. They know how to prove liability and force negligent parties to pay for all crash-related damages. Retaining fierce legal representation immediately after an accident is the only reliable path to receiving maximum compensation so you can focus energy on healing, rather than battling insurers. The road to physical and financial recovery starts with an experienced motorcycle accident attorney in your corner.